Welcome to Cubecade!

Redefining Minecraft Minigames

Chat in our Discord
enter the community
play.cubecade.net
join players

News Mojang’s New Combat Changes: Our Take

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Jøøls, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Jøøls

JøølsJøøls is a Verified MemberJøøls is a Featured Member Founder & Lead Developer
    ADMIN

Local Time:
    11:08 AM
    Good evening everyone!

As you may or may not have seen, Mojang has officially announced they will be making changes to combat once again, following the continued dislike towards 1.9 combat. Jeb released a new snapshot which gives us a look at the first iteration of this new combat. Today I'll break down the most important aspects of it, and provide the resources required for a healthy discussion.

More Information can be found here.

The Good
    1) 1.9 Hit Delays It seems the days of 1.9 hit delays are behind us, as this new snapshot has fully removed the slow paced hit delay that was added in 1.9 (Which I can probably guarantee the majority of us multiplayer players disliked). Instead of delaying the speed at which you can swing and punishing players that jitter click, weapons can now carry variable damage speed, allowing certain weapons to damage players faster without slowing down the click rate of the player. We personally love this change as this effectively resets swords to 1.8 hit mechanics, awesome!

2) Variable Reach Besides different damage speeds, weapons also come with different reach values. Currently, only hoes and tridents come with an extended reach of 4 blocks (However, they do less damage to weigh it off), which is an awesome new mechanic which can greatly increase combat variety, and can be put to use in our minigames too ;)

3) Sword Sweeping The rather confusing and generally disliked sweeping functionality of swords in 1.9 has been removed, and instead is now only available by using enchantments. This again, is awesome for servers as this allows sweeping to effectively be disabled or enabled per game/kit/etc

4) Special Attacks While jitter clicking is back and effective once again, you now also have the option to charge your sword for a Special Attack, which increases the range of your sword, performs critical attacks, and deals additional knockback. Again, something we welcome as a new addition.

The not so good
    Auto Swing Currently, holding your attack key effectively swings your sword at maximum CPS, which is in our opinion a terrible decision for the competitive community. Jeb has since elaborated the reasoning behind this is in order to introduce controller support, which honestly is fair enough, however we still strongly believe the Auto Swing CPS should be lowered, or servers should have the freedom to disable this feature. Based on the universally negative feedback on this feature, I believe and hope Mojang reconsiders it.

Our Conclusion
    As long as Mojang makes a change in regards to the Auto Swinging functionality, we all love the current improvements to combat, and can see it being a major success. This update effectively brings back 1.8 combat, and expands on it, which after all these years of just 1.8 combat is honestly a welcoming addition.

However we are also interested in your opinion on Mojang's plans. Do you like them? do you despise them? Let us know! You can leave a comment on this thread, but please make sure to include motivations behind your opinions! You can also head into our Discord Server where we have established a dedicated #combat-update channel for further discussions and feedback.

As it currently stands, we are thrilled to see Mojang listen to the community, and would gladly update our servers to 1.15, however until then, we'll all keep an eye out on how this update comes along.

Have a nice day! :D

Qurpo, NoobieBye, XER0GRAVITY and 2 others like this.
  2. Amun

Amun Well-Known Member
    PRO

Local Time:
    4:08 AM
    To be 100% honestly, i few things that i think should be changed (and yes i know its in beta so there going to be change) is the Variable Reach and how you can shift while having you're sword and shield out and can hit other enemies without hurting yourself or worrying for that matter.. And if 1.15 ever comes out i'll be even more hyped to play it on Cubecade :D can't wait!

JordanDi123 likes this.
  3. Pombo

Pombo Well-Known Member
    ULTIMATE

Local Time:
    Reach and autoclicker pretty weird rn

4. Jøøls

JøølsJøøls is a Verified MemberJøøls is a Featured Member Founder & Lead Developer
    ADMIN

Local Time:
    According to Jeb's initial response it seems shields are currently broken and not working as intended, however I do agree their current state is rather questionable. As for the variable reach, mind explaining what you mean exactly?

5. Nitrolific

Nitrolific Newbie

Local Time:
    2:08 AM
  6. XER0GRAVITY

XER0GRAVITY Newbie

Local Time:
    2:08 AM
    I think that the new "auto clicker" is great for future controller support, and I don't think that it should be toggleable by the servers because It's a great compatibility feature. However, I think that the "auto clicker" should only be for console and go at a much more reasonable CPS. But if they were to do that, I think that it would only be fair to cap the Minecraft CPS rate so that controller players aren't at a major disadvantage.

Jøøls likes this.
  7. Amun

Amun Well-Known Member
    PRO

Local Time:
    4:08 AM
    ofc, for the variable reach.. if im not wrong when you hit a mob/entity from 3.6 blocks away you can still hit the mob and i think it should be like the old one they had from 1.14 which is 3.4/3 (im not good with numbers and counting) so yeah that's it for the reach really.

8. UltraColor

UltraColor Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:08 AM
    Heyo,

As a member of the competitive PvP community, I strongly disagree with most of these features. Some of these would flat out ruin the PvP community, which I would hate. However, I do believe Cubecade can do something with these new features and create some new things! I don’t have faith that I’ll enjoy this update, but I do have faith in Cubecade. #CubecadeSummerUpdate

9. Qurpo

Qurpo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:08 AM
    I personally love 1.8.9 PvP but 1.9 does not require that much skill and does interest me in changing version anytime soon.

Amun likes this.